Druckansicht der Internetadresse:


Master's Programme "Global Food, Nutrition and Health" (M.Sc.)

Print page


General FAQs can be found here.

General information

When does the programme start?Hide

From the year 2022 onwards, our programme can be started exclusively in the winter semester (mid of October). The exact date will be in your admission letter.

The official start of the summer semester 2021 is 1 April, 2021. Lectures will start on 12 April, 2021.

Where will the Master’s programme “Global Food, Nutrition and Health” be taught?Hide

The programme will be taught in the newly founded Faculty of Life Sciences which is located in Kulmbach (around 25 km away from the main campus of the University of Bayreuth). Kulmbach is home not only to several internationally operating food companies, but also to the Max Rubner Institute, the Bavarian Control Authority for Food Safety and Veterinary Medicine, the State Technical College for Food Technology, the Competence Centre for Nutrition, and the Kulmbach Clinical Centre. All these bodies are involved in various research projects and in the Faculty's teaching activities.

Regarding the current situation with Covid-19, will the assessment and enrolment proceed as planned?Hide

For the moment, we assume that all assessment, the later enrolment, and the start of the summer semester will proceed as planned. We will keep you updated on any changes. Further information and updates on the current situation for students and staff of the University of Bayreuth can be found here.

Are there any tuition fees for this programme?Hide

There are no tuition fees for this study programme. However, in Germany, students at all higher education institutions must pay a semester contribution. This payment (at the University of Bayreuth about 110 EUR per semester) has nothing to do with tuition fees; rather, it covers your contributions to student services and the student government. At the University of Bayreuth, it includes a "semester ticket" that allows you to use public transport in the region and entitles you to eat at reduced prices at the university canteen.

Where can I find information about typical study contents and job perspectives?Hide

An introductory presentation of the study programme and mini-lectures about typical study contents can be found here.

Admission requirements

Do I need to speak German to attend this programme?Hide

All courses are taught exclusively in English. In addition to your knowledge of English (level C1), you must also prove your knowledge of German for daily life (level A1). If you have no knowledge of German at the time of your application, you have the option of turning this in by the end of the 2nd semester. German courses are offered at the University of Bayreuth’s Language Centre. More language courses in Bayreuth can be found through the IIK or the Volkshochschule.

What type of bachelor degree is required for application?Hide

Applicants should hold a Bachelor degree in nutrition or health sciences.

List of possible Bachelor study programmes (depending on their profile):

  • (Food and) Health Sciences
  • Nutrition Sciences
  • Health Economics
  • Nursing/Care
  • Psychology
  • Social Sciences
  • Politics
  • Medicine
  • Public Health
I am just finishing my degree and do not have the certificate yet. What should I do?Hide

Applicants must hold an official transcript of records (including subjects and grades) showing that they have completed at least 135 ECTS credits.

How many ECTS are required for application?Hide

Applicants must hold an official transcript of records (including subjects and grades) showing that they have completed at least 135 ECTS credits.


How to write a letter of motivation (written presentation of course-specific competences)?Hide

State in max. two pages the skills and expertise that qualify you for the study programme according to the following criteria:

  • Verbal skills: showing that you are able to express yourself precisely and comprehensibly in the English language.
  • Interest: explain the connection between personal interest and the interdisciplinary character of the study programme.
  • Interdisciplinary study skills: study specific professional training or internships, periods abroad, awards such as scholarships etc.
Do I have to apply online?Hide

Yes, please use the following link: https://campusonline.uni-bayreuth.de/ubto/webnav.ini. A submission of printed (certified) copies by mail is not necessary.

Can I send my application by e-mail or mail?Hide

We are sorry, but we can only accept applications through our online portal which is open from April 15 to July 1 (for a start in the winter semester).

If I send an e-mail containing my CV, transcript of records, etc. could you please tell me my chances in getting admitted?Hide

We are sorry, but we cannot do any pre-evaluation. Please check out carefully the entry requirements listed at our webpage as well as the assessment procedure. If you think, you fulfil all requirements and would like to be admitted to our programme, please submit all required documents exclusively through our online portal. E-mail attachments cannot be considered for evaluation.

Could you help me with my application in CAMPUSonline?Hide

A brief application guide can be found here. For all other technical problems (unusual error messages, page cannot be loaded, etc.) with CAMPUSonline, please contact the CM Help Team.

I cannot submit all required documents in time. Can I nevertheless apply for your programme?Hide

All documents except for the Bachelor certificate need to be submitted before the application deadline (July 1). The Bachelor certificate can be uploaded latest by August 15.

I have applied through the online portal. What is the next step?Hide

After we receive your application, two members of our selection committee will rate it in a 2-step aptitude assessment process (step 1, evaluation of submitted application documents; step 2, interview). We try to assess as many applications as possible already before the application deadline. Interviews will start at the end of June.

​​Until when will I receive information, if I get an invitation for an interview?Hide

We try to assess as many applications as possible already before the application deadline. Please understand that due to the large number of applications, the aptitude process might take a while. We therefore ask you to refrain from asking about the status of your application.​

How will the interviews take place?Hide

Applicants from foreign countries do not have to travel to Bayreuth to participate in the interview. Instead, we will arrange an online interview (preferred) or a telephone interview. Please note that travel expenses such as travel costs, accommodation or food, which arise because of participation in the selection process, cannot be refunded.

What proof of English language skills is required?Hide

English skills must be proven at the level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), Ideally, proof is provided by submitting a recognised language test:

  • IELTS: 7.0 or better
  • Cambridge: Certificate in Advanced English (CAE), Grade C
  • TOEFL: 95 or better
  • UNIcert: III

If your first study programme or your high school degree was completed in English, an official certificate from your university is also a sufficient evidence.

I have already completed a master's degree. Should I submit the master's certificate as well?Hide

It is not mandatory to submit the master's certificate. However, we strongly recommend enclosing it, as it represents a valuable piece of information for our selection committee and might prove the information about your master's study in your CV.​

Information for newly admitted students

Where can I find information about the visa application procedure?Hide

Click here to find detailed information about visa requirements for your country and tips on applying for a visa.

Where can I find accomodation?Hide

Since all lectures will take place at our faculty in Kulmbach, we recommend to look for accomodation in Kulmbach. There is a brand-new student dormitory next to the town center. (Furnished) rooms are also offered on the private housing market.

How high are the living costs in Kulmbach?Hide

Prices for accomodation, food and leisure activities are moderate compared to other German student cities. Nevertheless, prospective students should consider early on how they will finance their studies. Students in Germany spend on average €850 on living expenses. Of course, these costs can vary considerably, depending on your lifestyle and the place of residence. The following information provides an initial overview of the costs that students in Kulmbach will definitely have to pay:


Per Month

Rent (depending on accommodation)

between 300 - 600 €

Health insurance (if you do not have a European health insurance policy)

ca. 105 €

Telephone/ Internet

ca. 35 €


starting at 150 €

Further costs (clothing, copies, leisure activities, medication)

ca. 70 €

In total

starting at 660 €

Until when can I enroll at the University of Bayreuth?Hide

The enrolment deadline is 09 April 2021 but we recommend to enroll as quickly as possible as you need access to the online services and classes.

Where can I obtain a confirmation of compulsory physical attendance in the summer semester 2021 for submission to a German mission abroad?Hide

Newly admitted students receive this document together with, or a few days after, admission via CampusOnline. Students who are already enrolled can contact Welcome Services of our International Office to receive the corresponding written statement.

Webmaster: Helke Biehl

Facebook Twitter Youtube-Kanal Instagram LinkedIn Blog UBT-A Contact